The Trois-Rivières heritage site is the location of one of the first settlements in New France. Located in the heart of the city, founded in 1634, it covers approximately 6.7 hectares of urban, institutional, and residential land. It is bordered by des Casernes, Saint-Pierre, Sainte-Cécile, and Terrasse Turcotte streets. Its boundaries partially follow the old palisade of the settlement fortified in the 17th century and partially follow the palisade drawn in 1704 by Jacques Levasseur de Neré (1662 or 1664-1724).
Among the 50 or so buildings on the site are religious institutions from the 18th century, including the Ursuline Monastery, an important landmark, and the des Récollets-de-Trois-Rivières heritage site. The Trois-Rivières heritage site also includes residential buildings dating from the French Regime and the first half of the 19th century, including Manoir de Tonnancour, Maison Georges-De Gannes, and Maison Hertel-De La Fresnière. It also includes a wooden house from the mid-18th century, Maison Saint-François. It combines several bourgeois and working-class homes from the second half of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, as well as "boomtown" style houses and apartment buildings from the early 20th century. Green spaces cover much of the area, notably five public parks—le Platon, place d'Armes, a heritage site, jardin des Gouverneurs, jardins des Ursulines, and a section of Harbourfront Park. The area also has some 40 commemorative elements and public works of art.
This place is a heritage site. Many archeological sites registered in Quebec's inventory of archeological sites, bearing witness to Amerindian, European, and Québécois occupation, are connected to it.
The heritage site is located along the St. Lawrence River, near the mouth of the Saint-Maurice River, in the City of Trois-Rivières.
Source: Ministère de la culture et des communications du Québec
For more information on the subject