In 1668, Jacques LeNeuf de la Potherie, a fur trader, was granted a piece of land owned by François Champflour. He built a two-storey dwelling, a bakery, a barn, a stable, a flour mill, and other buildings that would be necessary for his subsistence and that of his tenants. And thus the manor was born.
In 1729, François de Chastelain, a naval officer, acquired the de la Potherie fiefdom and its manor. He made major modifications to the building involving a substantial enlargement, which gave it the shape we see today. He passed the building on to his daughter, Marie-Josephte, on the occasion of her marriage to Joseph-Claude Boucher de Niverville. This is when the manor got its present-day name. After the death of this famous soldier, in 1805, the building was preserved by his heirs for several decades.
Manoir Boucher de Niverville is a priceless witness to the French colonial architectural style. Its original wood framework is among the oldest in the St. Lawrence Valley. In addition to the permanent exhibition on bourgeois life in New France, each year, the manor hosts a different exhibition on archaeology in Trois-Rivières.